Thursday 29 July 2010

Leighton Moss

On our return journey from the deep South we stopped for a day at Leighton Moss.  The weather was great although it had poured down the day before so once again our timing was spot on.  It was our first visit there and off we went only getting about 200m before the slightly taller and better visioned one of the couple started gesticulating saying whats those pretty little blue headed birds?  After 30 seconds of directions from her I was still no wiser till I saw she was standing on her tippy toes  so moved to a better angle and sure enough my suspicions were confirmed, 2 Bearded Tits.  I had about 10 seconds viewing and off they went.  Unfortunately no pics but what the hell.   Leighton Moss is definitely worth a return visit and at present tops my list of RSPB reserves I have visited so far (sorry Saltholme).  We walked the whole reserve and visited all hides with the exception of one and struck lucky again with great view of Osprey for nearly 2hrs.
Honestly there is an Osprey at the top of tree and it stayed there off and on for nearly 2hrs occasionally flexing its wings
If you want to see a good picture of the same bird I can recommend Brian Rafferty's great photograph of the same bird and also many others.  I have been following his blog for some time now and had the privilege of meeting him at Leighton Moss.  Also on view were Marsh Harriers.  We saw 3 of them at the same time and a couple of food passes also.
There were also quite a few waders around also and I got sight of my first Spotted Redshank.  Once again I promise you there is one there.  We watched it for over an hour but it wasn't one of the most energetic bird I have come across although the Greenshanks, Redshanks and Greater Black Backed Gulls never stopped moving.  It stayed on the island only moving occasionally.
Also on view all around the reserve were Roe and Red Deer, a couple of Little Egrets, at least 4 Greater Spotted Woodpeckers,  Pochard and also a couple of Golden Plover. 

1 comment:

Brian Rafferty said...

John. Great account of your excellent day visiting Leighton Moss. Very nice meeting you and your wife.

Thanks for the plug to my blog. I will look in on your outings and keep in touch.