Saturday 4 February 2012

Late Friday afternoon I managed 30mins down at the Fish Quay and managed to spot 1 Adult and 2 Juvenile Iceland Gulls, had a look on the Middens and the small beach also but only managed a couple of Sanderling, a few Turnstone and the normal 100s of various Gulls.  Then off for a bit of Pasta at Sambucas


Saturday morning and a bit nippy on the ears but had to do my normal trip to Big Waters.  Was intending to stop at Arcot for a look but as I approached a Shelduck flew over heading in the direction of Big Waters so off I went looking for a patch tick.  When I got there it was nowhere in site and when I saw the state of the pond with anything that was breathing crammed into the two spaces of ice free water and the rest standing around I realised why it did not drop in.



So up to the hide looking for the elusive Brambling but without success although the place was littered with Yellowhammers and plenty of Reed Buntings.  Some of the stars of the show today are as follows:

 2 of the 3 Woodpeckers that were around most of the day with 2 of them drumming away 
for quite a long time

Up to 11 Long Tailed Tits around doing quick dives into the feeders then shooting off


A Goldcrest was in and out several times, feeding on the ground behind the posts and nipping out occasionally


although still feeding on the moss on the trees as well but not giving much time for a pic


Reed Buntings abounded in the feeding station but for some reason all my pics of the females, which I think are quite stunning, didn't live up to my exacting standards (LOL) so heres a male I took


A couple of Greenfinches came out immediately after refilling the feeders and stayed in the Feeding station for at least an hour


Finally a Yellowhammer which were all over the reserve today


Alan J and I went for short walk around but after getting jumped up at by 2 dogs and every dog we saw not under control, 1 couple had 5 with them which were running all over without the slightest hint of control at all, then the snow got a little bit heavier so we decided to head home.

No comments: