Sunday 29 July 2012

Thursday With Johnny

Last Thursday myself and Sedgedunum Warbler headed up the Coast  to see some Barn Owls.  I won't bore you with more amazing pictures of Barn Owls as you can see plenty of them here on Flickr and they are more amazing than mine, I know its hard to believe but there it is.  I did manage to get a Short video of a Barn Owl post hopping though (a bit distant but still an amazing bird to watch)

Barn Owl Post Hopping

Whilst sitting in a hide a tiny Snail was making a slow progress across the ledge in front of me.  I noticed that its shell had a bit missing and wondered if this damage could cause a disturbance in its aerodynamic air flow, similar to when a F1 Car damages its Nose Cone ?

Snail With Damaged Nose Cone

We then headed up to Warkworth Gut via Amble for an early lunch of Sausage and Chips which we shared with this fellow and several of his brothers and sisters

Waiting For A Chip

At Warkworth Gut we walked out and encountered many Linnet and Meadow Pipit and on the gut itself there were the normal Redshanks, Oystercatchers, Lapwings and plenty of Gulls.  I did decide to do a distant video of the Redshanks and as I started a wader ran across the ground so I just followed it and didn't bother to look at it till I got home and to my surprise it was a Wood Sandpiper, which was reported the next day.  We also spotted a Little Egret which I stopped to look at and get a couple of shots but John wandered off down to the wooden bridge and just before he got there 2 more Little Egrets took to the air as he approached and flew up the Gut to join the other one.  A good video opportunity, if a bit distant.

Meadow Pipit

3 Little Egrets at Warkworth Gut
Once again a very good day.

1 comment:

Johnnykinson said...

As you said John...a good day.