Friday 13 July 2012

The Futility Of It

Tuesday I headed out early for Big Waters just intending a quick visit but the rain started so I stayed for a couple of hours.  I was glad to see the Great Crested Grebes had built another nest which looked as though it was anchored on the Island and the water seemed to be receding albeit slowly.


After I left I felt a bit of trepidation though as the rain didn't slow down much and I could visibly see the water rising, this was confirmed by an email from my No 1 Reporter at Big Waters (Big Al) which enclosed the following pic which looked as though they were fighting their third losing battle as the water rose so it looks like another futile attempt.  (STOP PRESS - Just been informed that the water has risen at least 13 inches and the Island is completely submerged, as a matter of fact the Water Measuring Post has vanished underwater also).


There was a bit of good news was that I finally got to see the Willow Tit feeding happily in the Feeding Station although it would not pose for any decent pics as it was straight into the feeder then after gorging itself it was up and away.


The new Kingfisher perch on Alan's Scrape has been busy again but its a Common Sandpiper that seems to have taken a liking to it.  Its the 3rd time I have seen one on there but no proof its the same one.  3 of them did fly in together with the other 2 heading down to the public end


Other birds seen in the Feeding Station included a young Bullfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker and a Chiff Chaff.



No comments: