Sunday 15 July 2012

Pectoral Sandpiper at Cresswell

Friday and off early to visit Creswell hopefully to catch view of a Yellow Wagtail which I hadn't managed to catch up with so far.  Upon arrival I spotted what I thought were 4 Dunlins and was scanning around when another birder arrived, we headed up the causeway and were looking around when a small bird landed on the edge of the mud.  I thought it was one of the Dunlins but upon closer inspection it was a bit too light, the beak was too long but being small(ish) I couldn't quite get the angle to see the legs.  Trevor suggested Pectoral Sandpiper but then he had to leave for work so I stayed for a little while longer and took a few pics then it flew off and joined the 3 Dunlins on the far side of the pool.  I noticed then the yellowish legs.  Headed back to the car but my Collins was at home.  Headed up to the Budge Screen at Druridge and showed Vee and Maria my pics and sure enough after comparison on the Internet (now why hadn't I used my phone!!) it was definitely a Pectoral Sandpiper. 




A couple of videos, first one taken on Friday and the second on Saturday

Remember they are best viewed in UTube Player in HD Large



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If i'm wrong i'm going to look a little silly here..

Was it you I was talking to in the Cresswell hide? Noticed this as you mentioned your lack of Yellow Wagtail sightings. If so thanks for the tip off about the Sandpiper! Got great views :)

James.

HowdonBlogger said...

James,

if you have red hair, yes it was

John

Anonymous said...

Yeah that was me! I stand out like a sore thumb because of it..

Sandpiper was showing well again today!

Nice photos by the way :)

James.