Sunday, 30 September 2012

Holy Island

Saturday morning and off up to Holy Island with John A.  We stopped at the Causeway where there were a few Bar-tailed Godwit, a couple of Curlew and some Dunlin very close  but in the distance were hundreds if not into the Thousand of Brent and Barnacle Geese in 2 distinct groups.  We headed onto the island and there was already quite a few birders looking for the Arctic Warbler.  We decided to go for a walk round as the Arctic had not been seen seen.  We spent a couple of hours wandering round getting some close views of Spotted Flycatchers, Long Eared Owl, Wheatear, Song Thrush and Mistle Thrush.  We then headed back to the last known location of the Arctic Warbler and over the next 30mins or so we had a couple of fleeting glimpses and at least 4 good views although it only seemed to pop out into the sun for about 5 to 10 Seconds so didn't waste any time taking pictures just got the bins on it and kept them there until it vanished back into the Sycamore.  Its strange that it stayed in the same tree with up to 20 people watching but it only came out once every 5-10mins or so.  We then went looking for the Wryneck which had been reported but dipped although we did get a good view of a Peregrine patrolling moving everything in its path.  6 Roe Deer were in a recently cut field sunning themselves and a flock of Goldfinch moved up the path with us keeping us entertained.  Back to the other side of the island where we spent 30mins in the Cemetery watching a couple of Spotted Flycatchers, a couple of Robins and a Song Thrush.  We then headed back to the Causeway where lots of Dunlins were congregating, Curlews were nervously feeding, a few Eiders were showing, a few Godwits were feeding close in again and the Geese Flocks looked enormous.  There was plenty to see in scoping distance but we stayed in the car as the wind was quite strong by now and there was a lot of movement of birds when I spotted another Peregrine coasting along in an erratic pattern no more than 3 or 4 feet above the water causing birds to flee in all directions.  The Peregrine flew in a big arc doubling back on itself occasionally and changing direction abruptly.  It stayed in view for what seemed like ages but was probably no more than 1 and a half to 2mins.  We then headed to Fenham Flats to try and see the Pintail but we had lingered to long at the Causeway and the cupboard was bare with just the odd Wader showing as it was now high tide although we did get to see all the Brent and Barnacles flying South when they were forced off their bit of Sand.  Here is a few pics from the day.

Bar-tailed Godwit

Long Eared Owl
Eyes Shut

Left Eye Open

Left Eye Open Again

Right Eye Open
(Never caught it with Both Eyes Open)


Gorgeous Goldfinch

Roe Deer

Spotted Flycatchers

Godwit and Brent Geese

When returning to Fenham Flats we had to stop whilst at the railway crossing for a train and on the warning sign on the other side of the crossing a Kestrel hovered then perched on the sign.  

Post a Comment