Monday 26 April 2010

Super Sunday

The day started off well at 0715 in Arcot, within 20m I came across a calling Grasshopper Warbler, listened to it for a couple of minutes then it popped up on top of a bush no more than 3m from me.

There were loads of Willow Warblers singing away and managed to get a couple of snaps of one:
Then we spotted my first Whitethroat of the year (actually not by me but by another birder) thanks.  It flitted around too much to get a piccie but no doubt in a couple of weeks the place will be lifting with them (hopefully).  Then all of a sudden a shout from Steve Holliday and he was gesticulating toward the sky, bugger me I thought as I looked at the back end of a Great White Egret flying across, you wait for years to see one then you get 2 in a couple of weeks.  The area was also full of Long Tailed Tits and Goldfinches and Birders (5 plus me) unfortunately we were all beaten there by 2 non birders and their four legged friends who despite walking through the area at 0730 didnt seem to have much affect, most of the birders coming to see Grasshopper Warblers and Lesser Whitethroat.  I then headed off to Big Waters and just as I arrived I saw Alan J and Ian D heading off for their Sunday Walk so being the nice chap I am I let them have my company in case they needed some advice on Bird Recognition.   Its always great walking round with 2 fonts of knowledge and how Alan managed to pick out a Lesser Whitethroat call from all the others amazes me and after 45 seconds sure enough we spotted it (another first for me).  After a couple of hours walking we got round to the hide and another regular at the hide Maureen pointed out 2 Common Sandpiper feeding in the mud:
and after a while they had a short spell of displaying:
There were also 4 Common Terns present now.   I then headed to Prestwick Carrs where I failed to see the Marsh Harrier, Redstart, Tawny Owl and the Ring Ouzel which Tim saw later on so decided to head back to Arcot for a quick drop in as its on the way home and I was glad I did (on the way out I came across this lovely Linnet which was singing away so nicely I stopped and sat down for a couple of minutes to review the pics I had taken and listed to it):

On reaching Arcot I immediately came across the Grasshopper Warbler again and a Whinchat which was ranging all over the area but eventually got close enough for a record shot:

A perfect end to a Great Weekend and thanks to all the Birders I met for making it such including, Keith, Geoff, Paddy I, Paddy II, Peter, Steve, Alan, Ian, Maureen and the ones whose names I have forgot, specially the chap with the little beard I met in Arcot and in Prestwick.

3 comments:

HowdonBlogger said...

Noticed a couple of spelling mistakes and being a touch typist (for those who dont know what that means it is a clever bugger who can type and look out the window misidentyfing birds at the same time) so obviously no spellcheckers were injured in the drafting of this blog and even if they had it wouldnt have picked up listed (it should have been listening)

Howdon Blogger

Citybirding said...

John,
You are on one great run with super pics.
Dick

ST said...

Great Gropper, pics