Sunday 2 May 2010

If I Was A Carpenter (I would also watch birds)

Saturday and first stop was Arcot, I observed Grasshopper Warblers, Whitethroat, Mistle Thrush and my first real good view of a Sedge Warbler although my camera would disagree with me:
Then went to Prestwick where the Tawny Owl was in a different place to the last few times I have seen it but it did offer a better photographic opportunity.
and for those with internal binoculars that dont function as well as a pair of Swarovski EL42 I have severely cropped a pic after comments from a dedicated fan of my blog (the better half) whose comment of cant you just get closer to the bird to make the picture bigger so I can see them better which I took as constructive criticism of my photographic techniques.
Mind you if I comment on her bird pics (nearly all taken through double glazing with the sun shining directly in with my oldest camera cos she dosent want to use the new ones on the window sill cos they are "new fangled things") I have to stand back and put on my ear protectors.  She will then remind me of how many Sparrowhawk, Wren, Grey Wagtail, Blackcap, etc etc pics I have managed to get from my many hours watching the garden.

Then moved on to Big Waters and spent the rest of the day there learning about birds and carpentry from those 2 well known ornithological and DIY experts Alan J and John D.  All I can say was I had a great if not sometimes very cold day, thank god I ignored the beloved early morning when she said what the hell are you putting another fleece on for.  During the day I saw several Common Terns, my first Swift of the year which came before my first House Marten of the year about 30mins later, a lovely Mallard Brood numbering (on a consensus of opinion) 11, Little and Great Crested Grebes.  This Black Headed Gull was also quite adept at fishing and saw him take a few fish:
Lastly an apology for not commenting on other blogs - for some bloody unknown reason I cannot comment on 90% of blogs because the box with the pull down menu from which you select who you want to comment as is blank - this only happens on my home computer, at work it is OK.  Any helpful hints from anyone ?????

4 comments:

Danny Tee said...

Do you sign into your own blog before commenting on other blogs John if not it wont let you comment.

Citybirding said...

Great Tawny pic John

Johnnykinson said...

I got my first sightings of the Tawny, cracking bird, tucked under the main trunk. I had to lie on the ground and peer through the wire fence so both me and my camera couldn't focus, so no pics. Not a problem though as i was more than happy just laying there gazing at it with a huge smile on my face.
John

kirstallcreatures said...

Great pic of the Tawny Owl on the willow, Linda