Monday 17 May 2010

A Red-Le(tter)gged Day

Sunday up to Bothal Pond for a quick visit where the Warblers seemed to be out in force in the hedges beside the small flash but the only Wood I saw was the bit this beauty was observing the world from.
Then went for a spin round Cresswell and the first thing I spotted were 9 Common Sandpiper by the flash next to the Travellers Camp.  I had never seen that many together before.  Could only get 6 of them in the shot as they split up

At Snab Point there were about 25 Eider pottering about with a large flock of assorted Gulls.  There were also a few Meadow Pipits on the wires along the road.
Not a lot on the pond apart from a Mallard with a few chicks, a Grey Heron on the Causeway and a Linnet.  Went to the beach and as I walked across the dune about a dozen Shelduck took to the air.  Too many people and dogs on the beach with a couple of Oystercatchers trying to keep away from them.  On my wander back I espied a Kestrel so watched it through the bins for about a minute when all of a sudden I was knocked backwards.  There was a Staffy panting in front of me.  A "mature" lady shouted dont worry young man he does that to people, my reply was if he does why dont you keep him on a lead then or bloody train him not to, she said well people always tease him and he likes it, "WAS I TEASING HIM" I shouted.  Oh you Brutal Man she replied there is no reason to take that attitude.  I walked away with her shouting how rude I was.  There was another chap with a dog on a lead and he stopped me as I walked on and said that dog runs all over the place and gives us other Dog Walkers a bad name.  Had to return to Laverock Farm to get some bird feed so after dropping it off at the house and a quick cuppa with the Beloved I went over to Lamesley again for a walk round the Lanes and was glad I did.  My first Red-Legged Partridge, spotted them just wandering around and stood still while they came closer, got some great views through the binoculars but managed to get a couple of  outstanding quality pictures "record shots"
Well that was the end of a shortened day but with a tally of 49 species its not too bad

1 comment:

Johnnykinson said...

That's the good things about very early starts at this time of year John...........not too many dog walkers.
Pleased to see you didn't get anything too startling on Sunday, not too jealous as i encounter something like 20 Red Legged Partridge as i stumbled my way back to the car somewhere in Suffolk, semi lost and having to get back to pick Margaret up in Essex, so no time to enjoy the views of them unfortunately.
Hope you are fit.
John