Thursday 25 July 2013

Tit Bits From the Last Few Days

On Sunday I went out with Graeme B and Dee for a WEBs count at Castle Island and then onto Newbiggin, Cresswell and Druridge.  There were quite a few highlights including Common Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, Greenshank, Goldeneye, Avocet, Yellow Wagtail, Little Gulls, Little Owl and Pintail and of course a few things off Newbiggin.  No doubt I have missed something as I didn't keep notes as I had left my book in the car but I am sure Dee will let me have a quick pic sometime.  We spotted a couple of moths also and got a picture of this one which I have tentatively identified as a Clouded Border although we didn't know that at the time but no doubt there will be a comment saying I have got that wrong somewhere.


I wont show the pictures but I think I also photographed a Snout, Shaded Broad Bar and a Silver Ground Carpet (waiting for someone to say you can't have that one cos its rare).  

These little beauties were on the wires at Cresswell

and these were off Newbiggin along with several other year ticks although when Tim C arrived he told us we had missed a shedload of Dolphins earlier in the morning.


On Bells Ponds we saw several Yellow Wagtails, Linnet, Pintail and a Little Owl that took to the air just a few feet in front of us.  Couple of shots of the Pintail 



Thanks for a great day out guys

On Saturday a very early morning visit to Little Waters produced a surprise, 
my first Comma of the year

Also several Exuviae were around the Public Dipping Pond at Big Waters, I think this is a Southern Hawker but no doubt Mr Sedgeedunemin will be able to confirm.

One of the newly fledged Common Terns having a bit of practice trying to feed


Think I could do with a bit of a wash and brush up

Finally a Reed Warbler in the Feeding Station which was having a poke around the peanut feeder

Well, nearly managed to put a full week in at work but am off tomorrow hopefully for a wander round Big Waters, not been there for 4 days now and am having withdrawal symptoms.


No comments: